3 lbs ground beef = $11.77
2 28 oz cans red kidney beans = $3.78
2 28 oz cans organic diced tomatoes = $5.78
Total to feed 20 people chili = $21.33
I already had the garlic, onion, olive oil and spices. If you don't have them, it could cost you a few dollars more, but seriously, 20-something bucks is nothing to kickstart a fiesta.
So here's what you do:
1. Cover the bottom of a heavy bottomed pot with olive oil. Heat it at medium.
2. Dice an onion. Toss it in.
3. After onion softens a bit, add three chopped garlic cloves. Let them soften, but be careful that they don't brown.
4. Meanwhile, in another pan, brown your ground beef on high.
5. When it's browned, toss it in with the veggies.
6. Add your diced tomatoes.
7. Slip a couple bay leaves in the mix. Then add cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder and cumin to taste. If you like extra spice, spike it with some tobasco.
8. Cover it and simmer on low for about an hour.
9. Drain the beans and add them to the chili.
11. Serve and enjoy your guests "Mmming" like crazy.What do you serve at parties that gives you huge "Mmms" for minimal cost?