Turkey breast is one of, if not the leanest, meat protein sources on the planet. It offers a rich array of nutrients, particularly niacin, selenium, vitamins B6 and B12, and zinc. These nutrients are heart-healthy and are also valuable in helping to lower the risk for cancer.
Plus it's SuperCheap. I purchased a 2 lb split turkey breast for $3.14. Then I pan roasted it, ate some, and will enjoy more in a salad today. And more leftover with some veggies tomorrow. I will get three meals in one $3 turkey breast. Pretty cool, huh?
Here's how to cook a delicious, juicy turkey breast:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place a metal handled frying pan over medium high heat on the stove. Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil.
3. Salt and pepper the turkey breast.
4. When the oil smokes, place the turkey breast, skin side down, in the pan. Brown it.5. After it's nicely browned, turn off the heat. Add some cut veggies to the pan. Whatever you have will work. I used onions, mushrooms and carrots.6. Toss in a woody herb like rosemary or thyme.
7. Insert a meat thermometer into the breast - away from the bone. Put pan in the oven for approximately 45 minutes. When it reads 170 degrees, pull the breast out. Put it on a plate and let it stand for 10 minutes. (It will continue to cook and the juices will redistribute.)
8. Slide a knife between the bone and the meat and remove meat from the bone. Then slice meat into thick slices crosswise.
Do you already incorporate turkey into your diet? If so, how do you prepare this SuperFood?